Friday, January 11, 2019

Statement of Elizabeth Jerison Terry '82


As recently-resigned co-Chapter leader of SoCal, I urge you to vote NO on the proposed amendment to the Reed Alumni Board (ABD) constitution. I object strongly to the separation of chapter leadership from the ABD.
Being on the ABD and attending meetings enhanced my chapter leadership considerably. Rather than simply connecting with alumni, I benefited from cross-pollination of ideas that, on the surface, were unrelated to chapter work. I
- maintained my Reed connection
- engaged with current students
- connected with staff and active alumni in broader areas
- learned strategies to try to broaden the demographic of the chapter
As Chapter leader, I represented my chapter on ABD issues by asking members’ opinions; could be formalized.
Chapter leaders’ proposal to vote on unanimously acceptable changes was rejected.
The ABD decision to pass this amendment was not in the best interest of the college or alumni community:
- Alienated motivated and active volunteers; 3 chapter leaders resigned in protest
-  - No Bay Area leader
- Cost the college unnecessary staff time and money to conduct the vote.
The proposed amendment hurts the college and alumni community. Please vote NO.
Elizabeth Jerison Terry ‘82

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog will carry the views of Reed College alumni who believe that the proposal by the existing leadership of the Reed College Alumni As...